Going to purchase a new water purifier? Then, you have mostly heard about the TDS level in Drinking Water, right? If you have a little knowledge about what is TDS! Or how to check TDS level water! Then we will ask you to keep your worries aside and scroll.
When it comes to purchasing a new RO you must check the efficiency of the TDS controller and the mineralizer. If the rate of the TDS controller is able to discard the needed amount of total dissolved solids, only then you should go for that Water Purifier. But for that, you need to check the TDS level of your source of water firstly. Only after determining the level you can be sure about your water purifier’s monitoring of TDS in Drinking water.
However, we know that everyone is not a lab specialist. And that’s why we have jotted down some effective home remedies to check TDS Level Water.
What Is TDS?
If you have a clear idea of what TDS level of water actually is, then it will be easier for you to perform the process of checking the level.
So, what is this TDS? Well, the abbreviation of Total Dissolved Solids is known as TDS. The formula of water is H2O, as in, each of the molecules of water contains one Hydrogen atom and two Oxygen atoms. And this is called pure water. But when there are some impurities in the water is called TDS. These impurities can be anything like organic components or inorganic components. Both of these materials are Hazaras for your health.
Generally, abandoned sources of water containing a high level of salts like calcium, sodium, potassium, carbonates, fluorides, sulfates and many other substances. However, it’s a long list literally. So, what do these components do?- Whenever you intake more than a certain percentage of these minerals it causes you to suffer from many water-born diseases.
Not only these inorganic salts but also the heavy metal impurities are included in the list of TDS. The water sources contain a huge amount of arsenic, antimony, mercury, and lead. These chemicals are very dangerous for your health. So, in this kind of situation, only water purifiers can help you to drink safely each day. And whenever you go for an RO, you need to check the efficiency of that water purifier to make sure it can eliminate most of the TDS from your drinking water. So, no need to mention that you need to check the TDS level firstly to determine what RO will be perfect for your source of water.
Is TDS Necessary For Your Health?
So many times we have heard that is TDS necessary for our health? Actually, yes it is necessary but only up to a certain percentage. Whenever you intake more than that it will hard to prevent diseases.
Moreover, you may think that pure water is the ultimate thing to achieve a healthy life. But you are wrong my friend. Pure water has no taste, no odor, and no salts. But the salts like magnesium, sodium, calcium, or potassium are really needed for our health. As these compounds help our growth. So, what to do in this situation, like- if you intake less you are going to be ill, if you intake much then also you are going to be ill! Tough choice, right? Only, determining the exact TDs level and drinking it can help you. Look below to know what are the barriers for TDS level of water!
TDS Level Of Water- Acceptable Range(in mg/L)
According to the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the acceptability of TDS levels in water is as follows.
- If you intake the water with less than 50 TDS level then it will be unacceptable. Because such a low percentage of TDS fails to contain the required minerals for healthy growth.
- For water with TDS level 50 to 150, it is acceptable with a slight sense of deniable. however, this water includes some pollution from industrial wastages. So if you think 150 mg/L will be em=nough for your health then you are wrong. As in this proportion is going to reduce after the purification.
- A range of TDS level between 150 to 250 is considered as the healthiest as far as the cardiovascular health is concerned.
- There are many places, which has 250 to 350mg/L amount of TDS in the groundwater. It is a fairly acceptable level.
- BIS has prescribed that the water with TDS level 350 to 500 or a slightly more than 500mg/L is perfect for human consumption.
- Above 500 to 1200mg/L TDS level is completely unacceptable for a human. If you purify this water and after that, if the level drops down to 500mg/l or less than 500mg/L then it’s ok. You can drink that water.
- Water having a TDS level of more than 1200mg/L is utterly unfit for a human being.
Hence, it is proved that by hook or by crook you must have the proper level of TDS in water. Else, no one can prevent the consequences. So, must be getting anxious to know how to check TDS Level water! Alright, look below for the answer now.
How To Check TDS Level Water?
Several methods are there t measure TDS level in the water. Some of the easy tricks are given below. Have a look and fund out now the TDS level of your source of water.
Using Digital TDS Meter
It is one of the easiest ways of measuring the TDS level in the water. The main thing is you don’t have to take and reading or don’t need to calculate anything to find out the exact value of TDS level. You will get the immediate result on this device. So, no one can deny that this effect of the Digital TDS Meter has marked it as the best.
However, let’s know how to use this? Well, you need to look down for the answer.
This process includes two major steps. Firstly you have to measure the temperature then you can measure the TDS level.
- At first, Switch on the meter to measure the temperature
- Then, press the “TEMP” button and you will get a reading on the unit- degree Celsius
- Now, you have to return to the TDS mode by pressing that “TEMP” button again
That’s all! You are done with the checking process of the temperature. Now, it’s time to measure the TDS level in drinking water. To do so, follow the below steps.
- Firstly, you should remove the protective cap and switch on the meter
- Then, you have immersed the Digital TDS meter into the water up to maximum immersion level- the level is marked there, it is usually of 2 inches
- Next, you have to stir the TDS meter gently to remove all the air bubbles if there any
- Now, wait for a few seconds to let the reding to be in the stabilized condition
- After that, long press the “HOLD” button and then take it out from the water
- Finally, see the reading and, shake it off to remove the excess water and put on the protective cap
You are done with measuring. For your information, some of the TDS meters show X10 symbol, in this case, you need to multiply the reading with 10 to get the exact value. Furthermore, always keep in mind that the TDS meter is not completely watertight. So, you should never dip the meter above the immersion level. And one more thing, we will forbid you to not to expose it in direct sunlight.
If Digital TDS meter is not your thing then you must look for another process of measuring it. And, you have to look below for that.
Electrical Conductivity Meter
As you already know that TDS includes inorganic salts, so, Electrical Conductivity Meter can be another better option to measure the TDS level of water. However, follow below steps to check TDS level water by this method. Before proceeding towards the process you need to keep some stuff handy.
- A free of dust sterilized glass beaker
- An electrical conductivity meter
- And the water sample should be around 250C
If you are thinking that why do you need these stuff? Then let us clear the air. The electrical conductivity meter has the ability to release an electrical current into the water and measuring the resistance. So, yes, these apparatus are important.
Anyway, now it’s time to measure the conductivity.
For that, firstly you have to make sure that you have placed the beaked on a flat topography. Then, switch on the conductivity meter and immerse the measuring lead into the water.
Now, note down the reading as soon as it gets stabilized. It will take some time to be stabilized s, don’t panic thinking there is something wrong and the reading is not getting stabilized or something. The measurement depends on the measurement of pure water. It is being measured in the Micro Siemens unit. And pure water(H2O) has 0 Micro Siemens.
Now, you need to put all the values into the below formula,
TDS (in mg/litre) = KE (Co-relation factor) X EC (Conductivity)
Now you will get the exact TDS value of water. You’re done with the procedures of Checking TDS level water. since we have described both of these convenient processes, you can try one of them now. So, make sure that you have checked and found out the exact TDS level of water and then only go for buying a water purifier. We will like to remind you again that, all these total dissolved solids are not Hazaras for health. It only hurts your body when you intake more than a certain percentage. So, cut down the amount of TDS intaking today and live healthily.
We will make sure you get a regular update on this subject. In order to know more about water purification and TDS Drinking Water, just check out our other posts. We also have a details post on Under Sink RO, in case you want to know about it.
How to check the TDS level in the water?
There is a device called a TDS meter through which you can measure the level of the TDS.
What is a good level of TDS in water?
50 to 150 ppm is a good level of TDS in water.
How can I remove TDS from water at home?
Reverse Osmosis is the process by which you can remove TDS from the water.