Removing a toilet can seem a bit difficult job to most people. But, it is not. Most people can manage to remove the toilet on their own without any professional help. All you have to do is to make sure to follow this tutorial properly and you will be good to go. Check out this guide to know how to remove a toilet.
Always keep in mind that if there is a ceramic toilet, it can be heavy. So, avoid lifting it on your back, it can lead to injuries. Make sure to lift it on the legs. Moreover, if available, you can take help from somebody else.
Before you proceed with the process, check out what you need.
- Lids and paint buckets
- Wire brushes
- Air ratchet wrenches
- Cleaning rags
- Two-piece toilet
Steps to Follow in How to Remove Toilet
Here are some steps which guide you on how to remove a toilet-
Step 1: Disconnecting Toilet Connector
The very first thing that you will have to do is to drain the water completely from the toilet. No matter if you are removing the toilet, or replacing it, you need to first drain the water. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, you will have to disable the power supply at your shut-off valve. Usually, it is present on the wall at the back of the toilet, but, it can also be present on the floor.
- Next, you will have to flush the toilet multiple times to drain the water completely. The flushing toilet should be beautifully designed to look fine for your guests.
- Now, you may have to use the sponge to dry it completely and remove the remaining water.
- After this, simply disconnect the connection tube. You will also have to make sure to keep a towel or a bucket near you so that you can collect the water standing in the drain.
- When you are done with this, you will have to simply disconnect the connector at the tank also.
Step 2: Removing the Tank
Now, if you use a two-piece toilet, you must remove the toilet tank separately. Otherwise, for the one-piece toilet, you can skip this step and move to remove the toilet bowl. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you need to know that tank is attached using mounting bolts. You can find the mounting bolts placed on the sides and the middle sometimes.
- You will then have to use a basin wrench or the ratchet wrench to loosen the nuts and remove them.
- Next, you will have to lift the toilet tank and remove it. Make sure to place it in a location where it will be safe and out of your way.
Step 3: Remove the Toilet From the Floor
Now, the next step to removing the toilet is to unbolt it from the floor. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, if you feel necessary, you will have to pry off the caps with the help of a screwdriver.
- Now, you will have to use an adjustable wrench and remove the nuts. There are chances that you will be able to remove the screw using your hands.
- Next, if you see that the screws are jammed completely, you can use penetrating oil and spray it to loosen the nuts.
- In case the penetrating oil does not help, you will have to make sure that you use a hacksaw and cut bolts. You can also split them with the help of a nut splitter.
Step 4: Breaking the Toilet Seal
Now, the next step to removing the toilet is to break the seal. The toilet wax ring will seal the toilet flange and the toilet bowl’s bottom to the floor. So, if you wish to remove a toilet, you will have to break the seal. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Bestride the toilet and then try breaking the seal gently.
- You will then have to raise the toilet bowl and safely place it on the towel so it won’t come in the wait. You may not be able to carry out this alone, so, you will need a partner.
Step 5: Pull Out the Wax Ring
You will now have to pull the old wax ring. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do this.
- First, you need to get a scrapper. You will have to use a scraper and try to pull out the wax from the flange and also, the bottom.
- Next, throw the wax that you have pulled out and make sure to throw it properly so that it does not stick anywhere else.
- The next thing that you need to do is to cleanse the flange.
- Also, if you want to check the toilet flange, you can do it at this moment. If it needs to be replaced, you can replace the toilet flange now.
Step 6: Enclose the Hole
This is the last step in how to remove toilet process. Now that you have removed the toilet, you need to enclose the hole and then dispose of the new one. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- You will have to stuff a cloth or a rag in the hole. This is a must so that the sewer gas does not seep into your house.
- Next, you can use a bucket to enclose the rag and the flange.
To dispose of the old toilet, you will get two different options:
- The first thing that you can do is to call the local trash services in your area and then ask them to pick up the old toilet. You can also visit their website to connect with them. In this case, you will have to dispose of the non-ceramic part individually.
- Next, you can also visit the landfill and dispose of the toilet.
- Other than this, you can also call the local recycling centers and check if they can take the non-ceramic parts. For this, you can also seek help from the water authority of your area so that they could suggest something.
- Moreover, you can also contact the charity in your area which will accept and reuse the building materials donated to. But, make sure to donate only if it is in working condition. If they accept they may be able to arrange the transportation also.
You may check also: Most Powerful Flushing Toilet For Clean and Fresh Bathroom
So, we hope that by the end of the post, you have learned to how to a remove toilet. Now, you can also install a toilet if you want or can make the required changes in the bathroom if you wish. In case you are still not able to learn the process, we will advise you to contact a professional. Stay tuned to us for more such posts.
How to remove a toilet seat?
You can easily remove a toilet seat. What you all need to do is first unscrew the bolts. If it is badly rusted and tight then you must use lubricant and then try to unscrew it.
How to remove rust from a toilet bowl?
Try a homemade cleaning solution to remove rust from the toilet seat. Do not use bleach as it can make it worse.
How much does it cost to remove a toilet?
Removing toilet seat cost depends on what type of toilet you are using. Also, what plumber you are calling for it?