The bathroom Bidet is such an interesting system that people are always curious to know how to use a bidet. If you’re also getting a chance to go to Latin America, Europe, East Asia, or the Middle East soon, then surely you will see this bidet attachment close to the toilet. A large number of bidets are prevalent in all these places and people there have a habit of sitting on them whenever they use the toilet.
But today all your doubts on these topics like “What is Bidet”, “How to Use a Bidet”, “Are Bidets Hygienic”, Is a Bidet for a Man or a Woman” and many others are going to end as we have added all the information from very basic so that even beginners do not have any difficulty in understanding everything.
What is the Main Purpose of a Bidet?
How to Use A Bidet: Before using the bidet, use the toilet. The bidet helps in cleaning when people have used the toilet. Either you can use the bidet itself or use the bidet to combine toilet paper. Some people think that the bidet is a cleaner alternative to toilet paper. So, they use only one of these two, while some people use both.
Find the Bathroom Bidet
At times, the bidet is arranged close to the toilet and connected to the wall. Its structure is similar to the low sink with a faucet. Nowadays most modern bidets are manufactured into the seat of the toilet. It means you are free from getting up to straddle other fixtures.
Below we have mentioned about three types of bidets:
- Standalone Bidet
- Handheld Bidet
- Add on Bidets
What is a Standalone Bidet
This is the original bidet design and is available in Europe. This is a separate installation that is generally found close to the toilet. Although, sometimes they are located across the room/ office or down the hallway.
Whenever you will use a standalone bidet, you must stand up and move over to the bidet. This was launched in the 18th century in Europe.
What is the Purpose of Handheld Bidets
It is used in households. It is hung on the wall with the help of a tool. To reach the required position, this bidet must be manually moved.
About Add-on Bidets or Side Toilet Rim
As bathrooms in America and Asia lack the space for separate fixtures, a lot of toilets are equipped with fixtures or built-in bidets that place over the side rim or seat. Like this, there is no need to get up to be cleaned.
How Do You Use a Bidet Standalone
When using most standalone bidets, you can face away from the water controls. As you would, when using a toilet, or facing them. By doing the second method, it becomes very simple by controlling the flow of both water and temperature easily. As you can see the water speed and accordingly you will not have any problem in cleaning.
- If you are wearing trousers/pants you will need to take them off to sit facing the controls on the bathroom bidet.
- People who do not want to completely remove their pants. Just take one leg out of the pants so that you don’t get trouble moving your legs around the bidet.
- There is no problem with removing the paint in the Add Bidet, so it is more simple.
- Ultimately in a standalone bidet toilet, the method you face may be determined by the part of your body you think to clean and the position of the jets. Like if you want to clean your front part, face the jets and it might be simpler. If you need to clean your rear, face away from the jets.
How Do You Activate A Bidet?
Either you will get to see the WASH button on the toilet itself or it will be visible on the remote control of the bidet, which is mostly given on the wall near the toilet. You will also see a nozzle that will be below you so that you can comfortably wash your lower body with a stream of water.
- When you have cleaned thoroughly, you need to press the STOP button. Then the nozzle will automatically rise itself and go back in the seat again.
- In add-on bidets, you have to either simply turn the direction of the Lever or pull a String and rotate the Main Valve.
Things to Keep in Mind While Cleaning Yourself With a Bidet
How to Use A Bidet- If the water of the bidet you are using can be made both hot and cold, then first you have to turn on the hot water. After this, when the water becomes hot, you can change its temperature according to your wish by turning on the cold water.
- High Jet of Water- While turning on the water is that you need to have control to keep the bidet jets as most of the bidets give a high-pressure stream with just a slight rotation of the control.
- Hot and Cold Water- If you are living in extreme climates, you need to begin with cold water. Here water will not get time to. The water will not take time to heat up and if you heat the water by pressing the hot water button first, you will burn the sensitive parts of your body.
- Nozzle Position- You should already know where the nozzle position is, otherwise the water stream can surprise you by going anywhere.
- Spray Nozzle- If the nozzle is attached to your bidet, then to subdue the jet of water, first put your hand on top of it and then move the lever in the middle of the tap or drag it back.
How to Use A Bidet: Which Way Should You Sit On A Bidet?
- First, you need to get in the proper position as in the bidet, the cleaning will be done by the water stream. So you have to sit in a proper position so that the water stream can strike the exact spot. These bidets can be provided with a seat or without a seat. In case the bidets don’t have a seat you can sit on the rim of the bidet directly.
- Bidets with jet mechanisms will help you to clean your genitals with a water stream but some bidets don’t have jet mechanisms. In such a bidet you will fill the basin through a faucet and you have to use your hands to clean yourself manually.
- In manual bidets, you have to use an external mechanism to clean your part. Turn on the water supply in the water jet nozzle by turning the water supply valve, mounted nearby your bidet seat. In such bidets, you can hardly feel the temperature of the water jet as the water jet is very narrow. In the cold, you can also use warm water in your bidets.
Ways to Clean Rear and Genitals While Using Bidet
After knowing “How Do You Use a Bidet” in every way, now let’s read a little about hygiene. In water jet bidets the cleaning is mostly done by the water jet but in the basin bidets, you have to use your hands to clean your rear and/or genitals. In this you need to clean the area by using your hand and water, obviously afterward you have to wash your hand properly.
You can use a bidet and toilet paper to keep your area clean and well-dried. After using the bidet you can wipe out the water droplets with the help of toilet paper in order to extract moisture.
How do Europeans Dry After Using A Bidet?
Some bidets are provided with the features of “WASH”, “DRY” and ”STOP”.it has a built-in air dryer that can be used instead of toilet paper to make your genitals dry just by pressing the “dry” button.
Some bidets are provided with a towel by the side of the bidet to make your genitals and hands dry.
Sometimes the towel can also be used to wipe out any water splashes around the rim. If there is no towel or air jet provided you can simply use toilet paper.
How to Clean a Bidet Seat?
After using the bidet, you should also wash the basin of the bidet with light water pressure. By doing this, someone else will be able to come and use it comfortably and this thing will also show that you have good manners.
You must not forget to turn off the jets while leaving the bathroom otherwise the bathroom will get dirty and there will be a waste of water as well.
Is Using A Bidet Healthy?
On one hand, some studies have shown that people who are using bidets are more likely to spread fecal bacteria. But other studies have also concluded that after using the bidet, if it is not kept clean properly, then germs are produced in it, which can also spread bacteria in the genital area.
If you are using a completely clean bidet, then the risk of spreading germs is negligible and if it was not so, then the name of the bidet could have been spoiled in today’s time. That’s why it is also your responsibility that whenever you use the bidet, do not forget to run water in it for a few seconds after that.
After this, you should also wipe your genitals properly because the risk of infection arises due to moisture.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Using a Bidet?
Before installing a bidet in your bathroom, you should know about the pros and cons once. Some people believe that after using a bidet, it has become easier for them to clean themselves and they feel better after going to the bathroom. But some people think they may have to face problems like infection. By the way, these bidets are becoming very popular these days. Let’s know here….
- It prevents the use of toilet paper so that we can save our environment by protecting trees.
- People who have sensitive skin can avoid the problem of irritation.
- This cleans genitals properly.
- They come with a good period of warranty
- Standalone bidets need more space
- Your carelessness gets your clothes wet
- The unevenness of its nozzle leads to the risk of infection being high, especially in women.
- The renovation has to be done in the bathroom to install it.
- People who use it for the first time find it difficult to understand
Read, also- Bidet Toilet Sprayer: What is it? How to Install and Use? Full Guide 2022-23
Considered effective and safe as a hygiene aid, the bidet has been adopted by many big countries like Europe, France, Italy, Portugal, Argentina, Venezuela, Japan, Spain, and many more. Doctors recommend that people need to follow strict sanitary rules when using bathroom bidets.
Bidets are not cheap at all if you also want to install a good quality bidet in your bathroom, which will work for a long time with a warranty. It is said that the installation cost, water usage cost, and plumbing cost of bidets can go up to thousands of dollars.
Do you still have any questions in your mind as to “How to Use A Bidet”? If yes then don’t hesitate to get back to us. We will reply to all your queries 24×7.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1- Do bidets clean completely?
Ans- Yes, that’s why it is being used in many other countries like Europe, Portugal, and Argentina. People who do not use the bidet are not considered clean. Also, laws have also been made in many places to use them.
It cleans the lower part of the body very well. While it is impossible to clean so much with toilet paper. Nowadays, the option of drying is also coming in modern bidets. By the way, if you use toilet paper after using a bidet, then it is even better.
Q.2- Do you have to dry yourself after using a bidet?
Ans- Yes, after using the bidet, it is necessary to dry your genitals well. So that bacteria do not spread there when the moisture comes. The drying feature is added to the new bidets that are running nowadays.
In this, you just have to press the button, then the dryer starts. This will dry your genitals well in no time. And if you have a little old bidet in your bathroom, then you have to use towels or toilet paper. If you use a paper towel, it will give you more protection.
Q.3- Are bidets good for females?
Ans- It is a good thing that the bidet is also safe for women. It is better if women use the front wash feature of the bidet. On taking this position, they should spray water on the genitals from front to back. This method has been told by gynecologists which do not allow the infection to form.
After this, they should dry their genital area properly. Here, the drying system given in the bidet should be used, as sometimes due to the presence of moisture, problems like bacteria and yeast arise. You can also use toilet paper here.